Protrekkr is a music tracker. I am currently maintaining a fork of it here
Protrekkr was originally a cross platform music tracker by Juan Antonio Arguelles Rius (AKA Arguru). Protrekkr is a hybrid of modern day audio software and old-school styles of music tracker. Protrekkr, (known as NoiseTrekkr at the time) was also foundational for the commercial software Renoise, a third-generation music tracker that also blends the old with the new.
Sadly, it would seem that development for Protrekkr has stopped entirely. For this reason, I have "adopted" the orphaned Protrekkr. My fork of protrekkr contains many changes and features based on my needs and motivations.
- Hacking on other peoples software and making it do cool things is fun!
- I like music trackers, and demoscene culture in general.
- Something to use in my workflow, and the next abstraction in my bottoms-up toolchain
- Toolchain: Soundpipe (inner loop) -> Sporth (abstract away the inner loop) -> Polysporth (timing + polyphony) -> Protrekkr (visualization, form)
New Features in Protrekkr
- Lua scripting (initial work)
- Sporth integration
- Better commandline interface
- Refactoring (ongoing)
- Text-based output formats rather than binary formats (for source control)
- Sporth Plugin(s)
- Custom Widgets
- A library and API
- Devolution from C++ to C (most of it is really C already)